Username: Password:

Alien Bees RIngflash...

JackCutler
JackCutler - Photographer
Photographer
Pennsylvania, United States
View Portfolio

I used a ring light 1200ws many years ago and I just picked up a new one when I upgraded all my lights. I plan on suing it as a stand alone and with an soft box to kill some of the edge.

Ring lights have their place and the light can go from contrasty to flat depending on the type of diffuser you use or is available. They are cumbersome and will overheat if you shoot too fast.

BUT if you are willing to send some time experiment they can produce interesting results. I am still playing.

They also produce one Hell of a red eye with out a diffuser. Fun toy but a novelty and a bit of a learning curve for sure. Don't expect miracles.

JC

Posted at 02:46 PM on Nov 24, 2006

JackCutler
Photographer
View Portfolio

Forgot one other tid-bit. Ring lights are really hard on model's eyes. They leave purple circles floating in the air for a few moments.

If you have a model that is a blinker after the first pop figure on a lot of closed eye images.

JC

Posted at 10:30 AM on Nov 25, 2006

F16FOTO
F16FOTO - Photographer
Photographer
California, United States
View Portfolio

I have it, and use a my SONY DSC-R1 on it because of the swivel screen i can shoot down at a model on the floor without getting on a ladder... the yellow waitress is an example of what you're talking about on my SET 9 : YELLOWS port. top images of waitress:

http://www.f16foto.com/129234/

otherwise good value for the money... lil awkward... handle is useless to me, i just hold the whole unit...
oh and broke the mounting bracket as soon as i got it, but they were good about sending me 2 new ones, one redesigned. great customer service.

Link: Website
Posted at 05:43 PM on Nov 27, 2006

JackCutler
Photographer
View Portfolio

Here's a little play with a Ring Light this was the Calumet Elite 2400 WS at 300 ws and diffused the image below was straight ring light no diffusion.

Link: Ring Light Image
Posted at 06:16 PM on Dec 14, 2006

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings