Username: Password:

Tell me what you think...

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
North Carolina, United States
View Portfolio

I am new to the scene. Tall plus sized female who wants this to become a reality. I dont have my professional shots yet. I have a few TFP sessions lined up this month. But for starters, just want an opinion if I have what it takes based of my non-professional pic.

Posted at 10:17 PM on Feb 11, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

thank you for your advice.
I read and I read till my eyes hurt. It was very informative and I have plans to call and cancel my classes. Its a money loss, but hey it was not exactly down the street from me either and gas isn't cheap.

I do want to employ you for a little more advice if you are game :-)

I was invited to take part in a plus-sized fashion show (maybe I should say robust?) there are fees that cover photo session, registration, etc. Is this a good way to gain runway experience? I may not make the cut size wise for big agencies since I am over a sz16 (which I have been in the gym 7 days a week to change, so far dropped 25lbs yaay me!!)so should I even invest the time in fashion runway shows?

Thank you Texas you are awesome!! :-)

Posted at 09:48 AM on Feb 14, 2008

johnniesunshine
johnniesunshine - Model
Model
Florida, United States
View Portfolio

You have potential and I'm wondering what area of modeling you're interested in? I will suggest that you do some research on the subject. There are many sites that can help you start off. Also keep your money in your pocket! Unless you have money to burn I say network and research. Network with models and photographers. I've gotten great advice and pointers from photographers. Right now I'm working toward fitness modeling (or should I say I'm working out to get into that area). But there are many avenues so I say immerse yourself in the art and enjoy. Good luck and hit me up if you have questions...I'll help if I can :)

Posted at 11:31 PM on Feb 18, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

thank you for the encouragement. For the past 2 wks i had been modeling the flu :-(
But I am back. I want to go to the Brick House Girl Casting in NYC. It seems like for now I am grabbing at anything just to gain the experience of the atmosphere. It was posted here so why not? Right??

Posted at 10:27 AM on Feb 26, 2008

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

If that event is something that appeals to you, by all means feel free.

But just because something is posted here doesn't mean it's right for everybody. You have to make your own judgments about things, too.

It's easy to throw a lot of money into travel and having pictures done when you don't have a clear marketing plan for yourself. Being cautious about using up your resources is advisable.

Posted at 12:48 PM on Feb 26, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

Im learning :-)

Thanks for all advice !!!

Posted at 06:24 PM on Feb 26, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

I added two new pics. Would love a critique :-)

Posted at 12:17 PM on Mar 04, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

thanks for your critique :-)
I will definately look into that option.
You are very right about the angle the photos. The photographer will kill me if he know I posted them. He said he didnt realize my height till afterwards and was very disappointed at his misjudgement. I am definately a tall gal, 5'9 in flats and with the type of heels I wear I am at least close to 6ft. So better pics will come soon.

I went to my first "Full Figured" casting in NYC. It was not Brickhouse of course LOL!! It was an exciting experience with the exception of the rain and crazy NYC drivers. They wanted runway experience, but it was worth a shot and I reeeeeeeaaally wanted to go to NYC :-)
Fingers are crossed for a callback to Miss Inexperienced.

Posted at 08:46 PM on Mar 09, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

also I am willing to travel anywhere from TX to the east coast. These are the places I have family ;-)

Posted at 11:43 AM on Mar 10, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

New pics in my profile, tell me if I am getting closer :-)

And yes I actually love my day job, so its a KEEPER :-)

THANKS!!!

Posted at 11:42 PM on Mar 18, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

THANKS!! :-)

I think I totally went catalog on that shoot. I am just trying to build a portfolio that is versatile before I begin to stomp the road looking for a reputable agency. You feedback is encouraging and wonderful.
Doing an out door shoot Saturday so more pics will come.

THANKS!!

Posted at 07:11 AM on Mar 20, 2008

MissMichelle
MissMichelle - Model
Model
California, United States
View Portfolio

I am going to agree with what was said above. If you are planning on visiting agents, you are better off NOT having a portfolio completed before you go and visit them, or submit via mail or online. Chances are you will more than likely have to reshoot everything, unless you walk into an agency with a book of tears. They will know how they want to market you and will give you the names of photographers who can shoot the type of photos you need.

It is best to go to an agent with a nice closeup (headshot) with little or no makeup, smiling, non-smiling and a profile shot. And a body shot, wearing something that shows your shape, and not black. A nice fitting pair of jeans and a fitted tee or tank are perfect. If you have great legs or arms, show them, but no minis or extreme cleavage shots. These can be taken by a friend and natural light is best. Save all the port shooting when you know what you need.

Posted at 06:56 PM on Mar 23, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

Thanks Michelle!! :-)

I am just having fun with the shoots for now. I really enjoy being in front of the camera. I am getting to know the artist in me. My attitude is adjusted, focused, and ready to get the show on the road. I appreciate all the advice you have given. Wish me luck.
THANKS!!! :-)

Posted at 05:24 PM on Mar 28, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

I have enjoyed my TFP sessions. They are great learning and training session for me before I get in front of the High End Professionals. So far since I began this quest, I have went on 3 castings and got selected for 2nd interview to work with plus size designers in NYC, and chosen to be in 2 runway fashion shows in ATL and Baltimore, and still waiting on one more call back. I am so excited to have my foot in the door :-)

Posted at 08:02 PM on Apr 08, 2008

ArdraG
ArdraG - Model
Model
View Portfolio

Its been awhile and a journey!!!
I have not forgotten where it all started... MUSECUBE!!!

So far I have booked several fashion shows, got a 2nd interview for a plus modeling gig, made the top 10 at a high fashion plus model audition called Blur Dezigns, hosted my own charity fashion show for me heart group, and exposed my hidden talent of makeup artistry.

Check out an updated look at my port.
I think I am almost there, any advice?

Thanks!!
Ardra the Diva

Posted at 10:21 PM on Jun 25, 2008

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings