Username: Password:

hi everybody!...

Abby
Abby - Model
Model
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

I'm new to the site but I was looking for someone to critique my pics. I'm wondering if I've got what it takes to be a plus size model. Or "full figured model" whichever you prefer.

Posted at 01:10 PM on Oct 06, 2007

Abby
Abby - Model
Model
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

Personally I think that's part of the problem with the plus size industry. Everything is way too boring and plain. There is a huge outcry right now for sexy clothing for plus size women that is also flattering. So why not take that trend to fashion photography as well? That's why I'm putting together a fashion show for women of all sizes to participate in. Did I mention that I'm also a designer? I don't like the separation and stigma that currently exists for plus size fashion. I care more about changing that than I do about being picked up by an agency. But thanks for the comment.

Posted at 11:36 PM on Oct 17, 2007

Abby
Abby - Model
Model
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

If I were only a model I would tend to agree with you. Models do not get to make the decisions. However, as a designer it is my job to challenge the status quo and bring real fashion to real women. I can't tell you how many times i have heard that plus size clothing is boring and not flattering. And ultimately the "clients" are the women who buy the clothing. There is a demand out there that is not being met and I want to change that. This industry is constantly changing, as any creative industry does and if you want to make a change you have to take a risk. As I'm not trying to make money as a model, fitting into the "norms" of plus size fashion are not as important to me as they would be to someone desparate to be a model. To any other plus size model who is trying to make it, don't get discouraged. I've already been approached by an agency based on the photos in this portfolio. And I've been offered a runway show to showcase my design work. Photographers don't know everything. (no offense to mine. Love you girl!)

Posted at 12:58 PM on Oct 18, 2007

Abby
Abby - Model
Model
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

and ad agencies promote what they think will sell. In the end, it's all about the consumer. And the consumer in this case doesn't want to be treated like a second class citizen. They want clothes that fit that look good. That's what I'm trying to bring, and trying to show through my pics. Why should plus size models not be "edgy" when high fashion models have that as a requirement? Why is there a double standard when it comes to plus sizes?
If there is an acutual reason then I will listen to it, but if the only reason is because "it's just not done", I see no reason not to continue trying to push the market in the direction I would like to see it go. The truth is, the ad campaigns that use "real size" women have been increasing in number and popularity lately. This is a big trend in the industry and if you decide to stay within the confines of the plus world as it is now, you may be left in the dust.
I do realize that this is way off topic from what I originally posted, but I have some pretty strong feeling on the issue and I think this has been a really good discussion.
While I may sometimes come off as very opinionated, I do appreciate all the feedback. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Posted at 02:48 AM on Oct 20, 2007

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings