Username: Password:

color shifts...

marywehrhahn
marywehrhahn - Photographer
Photographer
New York, United States
View Portfolio

The last 2 images that I posted look more washed out on Musecube then when I view them in Photoshop or even Preview. Should I make different level adjustments for images on the web?
It's probably a basic PS 101 question but I've not completed that course yet.
Thanks,
Mary

Posted at 10:02 PM on Apr 25, 2008

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

If you're going to post things on the Web, always use the "save for the Web" function in Photoshop. It does lower the quality of the image in certain ways, but it's also an accurate representation of how the image will look in most browsers.

Note in Image Ready there's an option for Web colors only. That's because the Web gamut is much more limited than what you can get on your monitor.

"Save for the Web" factors in all of that. If you don't like the way something saves for the Web, go back and tinker with a copy until the saved for the Web version at least reflects your original intent.

Note that these Web images are just that. They're not to be confused with what you'd produce for prints. In fact, they'd print up pretty dreadfully.

Posted at 03:04 PM on Apr 26, 2008

marywehrhahn
Photographer
New York, United States
View Portfolio

I normally export from Aperture but will pull image into PS where I can save for the web. Thanks guys and tickering is something I'm now learning to do.
mary

Posted at 12:12 AM on Apr 28, 2008

marywehrhahn
Photographer
New York, United States
View Portfolio

I hear ya, about having images so many different ways, as it is I have different sizes of the same images, I think I would jump out the window if I had to adjust the color on each too.
Coming from a color background, maybe I need to remember to "look the other way" as far as color is concerned. Bad habits are hard to break even after being out of the business for a year.

I'll just worry my pretty little head about how they print.

Thanks David, Jene, Michael and Jack for your helpful hints and words of wisdom.

mary

Posted at 12:23 AM on May 06, 2008

marywehrhahn
Photographer
New York, United States
View Portfolio

The problem I have is if I use Musecube as my portfolio link, I'd like the images to look good. I chose Musecube for several reasons. One for the other cuber's level of professionalism and 2 because i thought the portfolio designs were clean and upscale. I have a template webdsite through iMac that gives me better color with little shift.
Caught between a rock... - guess I should try my hand at Go Live or something else or pay someone else for their webdesign.
It's the company of the other members that keeps me on this site.

Posted at 11:18 PM on Jul 29, 2008

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

Mary, if you want the most control over what your stuff is going to look like to others, shove it through that save for the web function in Photoshop. Otherwise, it's a total crap shoot.

The save for the web function reduces the number of colors in an image, so it looks like what you'll see in a browser. You can control how much compression the image has, so you can see the results right there on your screen.

Once you get the hang of it, you can get your images to look pretty darn close to how they'll appear to others.

Yes, monitors vary. But that's the case no matter what Web site you use. Putting the pictures into a "language" that's compatible with browsers helps you create an online presence that's as consistent as possible. If you use any of the other methods, you're cramming an image that's too "rich" for the medium into a lesser medium, and you're letting somebody else's presets adjust your photos for you.

If, on the other hand, you use the save for the web function, you're controlling how the image is presented to a much larger degree. The display sites will do much less compression, because you've already done it.

Posted at 08:24 AM on Jul 30, 2008

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings