converting from color to B&W

marywehrhahn - Photographer
marywehrhahn
(Photographer New York, United States)

Hit or miss... I'm just starting to learn CS4 Photoshop and I never really did much in CS2 so forgive me. I could ask Jene but, sometimes a master is not always the best teacher or maybe I'm not the best student. Previously, I was converting an image in Aperture and now I am working in LightRoom 2 (trying to learn as I go) In PS just desaturating gives my image a wonderful conversion on my monitor but when I print using my paper profile or a labs profile, my conversion is casted and appears colder then I'd like it. I realize that experimenting is part of the process but I would appreciate if someone could head me in the right direction. Should I work in color balance first and then desaturate. I realize that everyone works differently. How do the masters do it. (Most of Jene's B&W images were shot with B&W film and he used cone inks with his B&W printer. I have a little Epson 1800R and can print 13 x 19 which is my preferred size.

Hopefully people are still reading the forums ;-)

Thanks,
Mary

Posted at 09:16 PM on Feb 26, 2009
marywehrhahn

When done well, Black and white is killer!

;-0
M

Posted at 12:29 AM on Mar 02, 2009
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
McGowanPhoto
(Photographer Arizona, United States)

Mary, there's a conversion that works great in Photoshop itself.

Go into adjustments/black and white. The conversion retains the original RGB channels, but you can adjust the levels of each. This is a great way to create extra drama in b/w images.

It also retains the full bit depth of the image, providing you with far greater dynamic range than grayscale.

I've had a number of good b/w prints done from this system (or by using channel mixer, which is a bit more difficult). The tonal depth is nice, and the prints come out with greater apparent detail and tonal gradations.

Posted at 12:09 PM on Mar 03, 2009
marywehrhahn

When I have a free moment, I will try it. Right now I am slowly moving forward, putting images together for a new gallery in NJ from my Cambodia and Japan trip.

m

Posted at 11:20 PM on Mar 04, 2009

Newest Critique Image

Critique this image
Visit the Critique Gallery!
The critique gallery allows you to select images from your portfolio for review and comments by MuseCube members.

Latest Castings

Latest posts in the new Work Listings board

Fine Art Nude
(Seeking model)
South Carolina, United States

Painting in Motion
(Seeking model)
Massachusetts, United States

EDWARDIAN COVENANT..an editorial shoot b...
(Casting Call)
New York, United States

PhotoNovel About Women's Basketball
(Casting Call)
New York, United States

topless calender shoot
(Casting Call)
Illinois, United States