Username: Password:

Fine Art Possible with digital?...

MartinWoods
MartinWoods - Photographer
Photographer
United Kingdom
View Portfolio

Having recently been reading more websites and publications about fine art photography in order to broaden my knowledge I'm wondering one thing. Is it possible to produce Fine Art prints for any kind of market when using a digital camera?
I ask this becasue it seems most of the publications are aimed at the photographers using traditional techniques with film in medium or preferably large format cameras. I was never educated in using these cameras and only ever shot 35mm film before going digital. Does anyone take digital work seriously in the gallery and print collectors world? I have no experience of wither but would like to have in the future. A lot of the photographers whose work I like most are using medium/large format film. Should I give up with digital, go to school and learn the other formats or plod away with what I'm doing in the hope that someday I will amass a body of work I can think about exhibiting.
I know there are many questions here, and believe me I have more in my head. If you have any answers then please share them.
Woody

Posted at 10:50 AM on Oct 12, 2008

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

My experience is that there are two pretty much parallel schools of thought on this.

One is that the fine art has to be from old technologies. It's the same thought process that made etchings art once they stopped being used for newspaper, magazine and book reproduction.

The other is that digital photography is just another medium to produce art. The shows I've had at the Butler Institute of American Art were totally digital, and the museum has actively sought out digital artists off all sorts.

You'll probably keep on running into "purists" who think the only photographic art is that produced with the old tools. But more and more, I'm encountering people who simply don't care. If the image is worthwhile, it's worthwhile.

Posted at 01:42 PM on Oct 12, 2008

MartinWoods
Photographer
United Kingdom
View Portfolio

Hey, thanks for the input so far (and the positive vibes re my pictures) Until recently I didn't give a damn about using film but it's a wierd thing that part of me now wants to know about the mysteries of it :) Maybe it's just down to wanting to share in the history of the art kind of like knowing where you come from becomes important at some stages of your life, you know, finding out your family history. Maybe I just wish i knew more of the photography family history.... and then on other days I just think, stuff that, I couldn't be bothered with all that darkroom nonsense. I know how to develop my images in Photoshop which takes at least as much skill and creativity but without the science and chemicals.

Posted at 05:46 PM on Oct 12, 2008

marywehrhahn
marywehrhahn - Photographer
Photographer
New York, United States
View Portfolio

I agree with Michael, a worthwhile image is a worthwhile image... but I'd like to add that for me - the proof is in the printing. Epecially with B&W

Mary

Posted at 05:56 PM on Oct 12, 2008

MartinWoods
Photographer
United Kingdom
View Portfolio

So what solution do you use for printing from digital. I upload my images to a pro commercial printer who so far has produced prints I am happy with. They are standard digital prints on Fuji crystal archive paper and also some on metallised paper which are really nice. How does anyone else get prints done silver or platinum prints from digital who can do this?

Posted at 01:16 PM on Oct 13, 2008

marywehrhahn
marywehrhahn - Photographer
Photographer
New York, United States
View Portfolio

Having seen Jack's silver prints in person, I for one can't wait to try some of what I consider my fine art photography with his soon to be up and running machine. Of course, the sample prints were of his and Melis's images and they are top notch to say the least.
But guys, they are a good as the Silver Gelatin prints we all know and love - from digital captures.

It was worth the trip cross town to see them. ;-)

Mary

Posted at 09:43 PM on Oct 28, 2008

JennaBlack
JennaBlack - Photographer
Photographer
California, United States
View Portfolio

in the 1930s, it was thought that photographers who made use of darkrooms were not "really" photographic artists, and were really just "technicians"

The current digital and photoshop discussions are the same question over again, and the answer is the same--regardless of how you created it, the art is in the image.

I have showed at several galleries and now am working closely with a fine art museum, and in memory have never even been ASKED whether I shoot digital. I have encountered a few photographers who insist that film is the only way, but in media and indeed most professional photography, digital is required--in art, it's left to the photographer, but I know far more successful digital art photographers than I do film.

In a recent juried show I helped hang, only two of the sixteen pieces were shot on film.

Posted at 11:18 PM on Jan 23, 2009

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings