Username: Password:

Starting over!...

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

After the travails of putting together the latest show, I've decided that I know nothing about getting this process done anymore.

Thus, I'm going to be shopping for new sources for everything. And I mean everything.

1. Mats and backer boards. Light Impressions had done great. I want somebody who is as good as they used to be. Is that too much to ask?

2. Frames. Once upon a time, I used section frames and glass. The glass became really hard to find in big enough sheets. Plexi has been OK. But my source of section frames has been absorbed into a big, bad company. Anybody know a good source?

3. Sometimes, purchasers demand photographs made of photographic materials. You know, all those nasty chemicals. Does anybody know of someplace as good at printing large prints on one of the photographic paper processors (like the Fuji) as Jack is on his giclee printers? This is no offense to Jack, but is direct result of people wanting a certain medium. Some folks just don't like the look of the giclees in certain light. (Oh, yeah, and they have to be almost as open-minded as Jack!)

I probably screwed up in 100 other ways during the process of the show, but I know I need info about those three areas.

Any options would be much appreciated.

Posted at 03:11 PM on Apr 26, 2008

McGowanPhoto
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

Thanks for the tips.

At the moment, I'm not in a situation to take advantage of some of the ideas, but others are a big help.

I'm absolutely no good at making frames. No depth perception and bad hands don't make for a good framer. Same with cutting my own mats. I waste so much material, it's actually cheaper to buy pre-cut.

But if I can just find a decent glass shop around here, that would be very welcome. As you say, the cost of glass is having it cut.

Posted at 04:40 PM on Apr 28, 2008

McGowanPhoto
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

Thanks, Jack...

I just got a chance to look at these prints up at the museum. They look terrific, with nice light on each print. The fellow who hangs the shows is a real master at it.

You're probably right about the elitist thing. But I'll take an elitist's money. If printing on the material he wants (rag paper, whatever), gets him to open that fat wallet, I'm cool with that.

Since I don't do this kind of thing every month or even every year, things may change by the time I do the next one. Nontheless, this trip down the art show road was bumpier than I've ever had. It pointed up some more gaps in my knowledge, so I appreciate you folks helping out.

Posted at 02:36 PM on Apr 29, 2008

McGowanPhoto
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

Ha ha. You're right about that. It never was easy. But this time, I encountered snafus right up to the very end. I even wound up tearing up old framed work to get all the pieces framed.

Then, ironically, not all the pieces fit in the allowed space.

Luckily, they're putting up a slide show with the exhibit in which I have all of the prepared work as well as 10 others that will be on display.

Once upon a time, in days of yore, I had suppliers for everything. Most of them are gone or merged or bought out.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next time around. I'll be checking out what you guys have suggested. Thanks again.

BTW, I'll be sure to take some photos of the exhibit.

Posted at 05:47 PM on Apr 29, 2008

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings