Self Published Books

gvbrown - Photographer
gvbrown
(Photographer Michigan, United States)

Hi,
I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with self published books... the kind offered through services like blurb, lulu, etc.

I though this would be a different way of assembling a print portfolio, and the prices aren't bad. I paid about $15 for a 70 page soft cover through lulu. The quality wasn't quite what I expected though, so I'm shopping around.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences...

Geoff B

Posted at 10:16 AM on Oct 01, 2007
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
McGowanPhoto
(Photographer Arizona, United States)

Geoff, look at the difference between a good magazine photo and a good print. That's the difference you'll see in the books. There's nothing wrong with the reproduction, but it's clearly not a print.

Posted at 10:33 AM on Oct 02, 2007
gvbrown - Photographer
gvbrown
(Photographer Michigan, United States)

As a follow up, I recently tried another print service, which I think was slightly better.

My main purpose of printing this book was to have something that I could use with examples of my work while courting galleries, or at shows, etc. So it's more a promotional piece than one that would be used to resell.

To begin with, I had laid out my book in PDF format, which limited me to a few print services. There are quite a few that offer wizard type layout systems, but I wasn't really interested in reinventing the wheel every time I changed print companies - so I'm sticking with those that accept PDF for the time being.

The latest service that I tried was Viovio (www.viovio.com), and my experience here was quite a bit better.

The book I received was a perfect bound book, with a nice high gloss cover. The paper stock was a bit better quality than that of Lulu, in my opinion, though you do have a few options as to the type of paper you want the book printed on.

Pros and cons with this service - the black and white prints were dead on, with the exception of those that were RGB instead of grayscale. In those instances, the images had a noticeable blue-shift. Most of the color images also had a slight shift toward blue or green. The book is co-branded with their logo, though you can have this removed at an additional fee. The price point was a bit higher than that of Lulu, however I did use a different binding option and had about 50 more pages in the book I sent to Viovio, so the comparison here isn't exact, but the price per page is a bit higher.

In any event - this has been my experience thus far.

Geoff B

Posted at 01:22 PM on Nov 01, 2007

Newest Critique Image

Critique this image
Visit the Critique Gallery!
The critique gallery allows you to select images from your portfolio for review and comments by MuseCube members.

Latest Castings

Latest posts in the new Work Listings board

Christmas Shoot
(Seeking model)
Florida, United States

Double Exposure @15 denier.....an Editor...
(Seeking model)
New York, United States

Artful Nudes of Each Other
(Seeking photographer)
Massachusetts, United States

Models Wanted for "SILHOUETTES"...
(Seeking model)
New York, United States

Labia model
(Seeking model)
California, United States

A service of FlexArt, LLC.