Username: Password:

I used to be a Nikon man...

model4us2
model4us2 - Photographer
Photographer
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

A few months back I was looking at buying a Sony R-1. Partly because of the convenience but I was also tired of dust on my sensor. Try as I might it was still a problem. I looked on ebay but decided instead to buy a Olympus E-300. WOW! Is all I can say. I've used Fuji's, Minolta's and Nikon digitals such as the D-70 and the Fuji S-2 but the E-300 is wonderful and usually a bargain on Ebay.

I have two images from it on my profile. The latest is called Pricila.

Posted at 04:17 AM on Jan 09, 2007

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

Well, if you ever change lenses on your new Olympus, you'll be opening up the camera to dust.

Sometimes you just HAVE to clean those sensors.

Posted at 10:45 AM on Jan 09, 2007

model4us2
model4us2 - Photographer
Photographer
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

All the Olympus cameras have a special
feature that 'shakes' dust off of the sensor. I think Pentax offers something also.

Posted at 11:59 AM on Jan 09, 2007

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

Yep. But where does the "shaken" dust go? Into the mirror box, where it will be re-attracted to the sensor.

Other companies have tried changing the charge on the sensor and other things. It's just an unfortunate fact of life that dust will accumulate. And you won't see the dust till you've taken the picture. And then you'll have to deal with it all over again.

Here's hoping you have less of it to deal with than with previous cameras. But eventually, you'll need to clean the thing, if only to get the dust out of the box, so it doesn't settle back on the sensor.

Posted at 12:08 PM on Jan 09, 2007

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings