Username: Password:

Best Portrait Lens for d70s...

AliciaS
AliciaS - Model
Model
California, United States
View Portfolio

I'm about to buy a package which gives me different lens options. Can someone help decide? I'll primarily be taking headshots of my daughters and if I get good, maybe I'll expand my services LOL.

#1 Package has 28-200mm f/3.5-6.3
#2 has 2 lenses 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 & 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6
#3 one lens Nikon Zoom Wide Angle 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 AFS ED-IF DX
#4 28-300 f/3.5-6.3
#5 has 2 Nikon 28-80mm & Nikon 70-300mm
#6 Nikon 28-105mm & 70-300mm

Thanks in advance. I'm getting the camera from:
http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?ac=1&prodid=340648&start=1

Posted at 08:07 PM on Aug 16, 2006

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

I know nothing about the store, so I don't know if they're good or not.

Basically, if you can afford it, go with the Nikon zooms. Either package will work fine for you. You'll find the shorter of the two zooms will do a great job with portraits.

If you need something for low light, get the 85mm f/1.8 Nikon lens. (Get the f1.4 if you can afford it.)

Another low-light lens that works nicely for portraits is the 50mm f/1.4 Nikon lens. It's even reasonably priced.

Posted at 11:58 PM on Aug 16, 2006

AliciaS
AliciaS - Model
Model
California, United States
View Portfolio

I wanted to thank everyone that responded to my message. I ended up finding a new one on Craigslist with the Nikon 18-70 lens. Now all I have to do is figure it all out, since it didn't come with a users manual :(

Posted at 11:23 PM on Aug 17, 2006

jeffmedina43
jeffmedina43 - Photographer
Photographer
Iowa, United States
View Portfolio

Good job going with Nikon.I have shot with a Nikon since I first picked up a camera.They can take a beating,and still come up kicking.Sharp images!If you ever need lenses for your Nikon system,go to www.cameta.com. They are a new/used camera supplier out of Amityville,New York.Their prices are reasonable.Try them.

Posted at 01:15 PM on May 21, 2008

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

Jeff, focal length plays a key role in portraiture.

Here's why: You try to choose the lens for a given camera that will put you at a good conversational distance away from the subject. That provides a perspective for the viewer that's similar to what they'd see of that person sitting across a desk, or a dinner table or even talking in a corridor.

Using longer or shorter lenses can produce pleasing effects, they they're generally perceived as effects.

Posted at 06:33 AM on Jun 19, 2008

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings