Username: Password:

Nobody like-a Leica ?...

saycheez
saycheez - Photographer
Photographer
Nevada, United States
View Portfolio

Sadly, another legendary camera mfr might bite the dust.

Link: Ya gotta like a Leica !
Posted at 10:11 PM on Feb 22, 2005

testshootcom
testshootcom - Photographer
Photographer
California, United States
View Portfolio

I love my R9, but the costs are too high for their 2-3 cam lenses. I bought my R8 the same day Brad Pitt bought his here in LA at Samy's. I LOVE the digital back that has no multiplier effect. GREAT idea to have an interchangable 35mm/digi back.

Posted at 02:43 AM on Feb 23, 2005

model4us2
model4us2 - Photographer
Photographer
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

Thats sad news.
I could never afford one
but several friends have them
and love them. The quality is
second to none.
However....
Digital rocks!!!!

Posted at 12:02 AM on Feb 24, 2005

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

I'm old enough to remember when pros used Leicas all the time. They were small, built and did superb photos.

But if you wanted a telephoto shot, you had to do the most amazing silliness. And along came Nikon, grabbing up nearly all the pro shooters. And then Canon, with the first pro-quality digital equipment. (Don't be fooled. The early Nikon digital junk was just that, as was the first round of Canon digi.)

Meanwhile, Leica's first SLR was just about impossible to use, with a horrid focusing screen. Didn't matter if the lenses were great, when the screen was so impossible. They gradually fixed that, but by then they were so far behind the curve, the only market that mattered was rich folks who wanted something to brag about.

Even Leica's digital, which seems to work quite nicely, is years and features behind. It's too bad, because when they finally got something right, it was amazingly nice. Too bad they ignored practicality for so long.

Posted at 07:19 AM on Feb 24, 2005

saycheez
saycheez - Photographer
Photographer
Nevada, United States
View Portfolio

I was just about to make an addendum which states that 'Leica does not only make cameras, but they are also involved with commercial and industrial applications' such as microscopes, tissue analyzers, lazers, and GPS equipment.

Then I read a press release which basically says the Leica brand is comprised of 3 independant companies, and it is ONLY the camera company that is having financial difficulties.

Link: Clarification of Leicas financial status.
Posted at 11:29 AM on Feb 24, 2005

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings