Username: Password:

MC is REALLY dead...

Grandart
Grandart - Photographer
Photographer
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

One of the things I have been thinking about is WHY MC is dying and the conclusion that I have come to is there is too much democracy on a site such as this. Allow me to explain. I posted an image in the Artistic Nude category that MuseCube selected as one of its Spotlight Images. Wow, I like that. And then one of the members (the democracy part) almost immediately posts a comment that "there is nothing interesting to look at either conceptionally or technically. That this is a jumble of forms and shapes".
I am interested in legitimate critiques of my work, whether positive or negative. These critiques enhance my work and my thoughts, and allow me to grow as na artist. But when I receive a sarcastically induced commentary that finds nothing redeeming about my picture I have to question who is at the helm of MuseCube. This kind of criticism is deadly and destructive and should not be allowed here. In fact, it induces me to leave from this site and I may do so shortly. The very few members who have this sarcastic and destructive approach will take this wonderful site down. Yes, make no mistake about this, I am very angry that one member does not have the good sense to temper his remarks (while not submitting ANY work of his own for critiques, ever!!)is allowed to FREELY make his remarks. The terrible dilemma is that there are so many solid and contributing artists on this site; but at some point you cannot ignore the ignoramus who (tries) to put in his two cents. They do wear you out.
I will miss you people.
Peter

Posted at 12:19 AM on Feb 17, 2011

McGowanPhoto
McGowanPhoto - Photographer
Photographer
Arizona, United States
View Portfolio

It's really sad that somebody's half-assed critique can run off somebody. If it's a spotlight image here, that's worth a lot more, the way I look at it.

Posted at 01:04 AM on Feb 17, 2011

Grandart
Grandart - Photographer
Photographer
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

I am incredibly grateful for all of your remarks and it shows the caliber of talent and thinking human beings who comprise this circle. I hope and trust that we can enlarge this circle.

Posted at 08:45 PM on Feb 20, 2011

s230
s230 - Photographer
Photographer
Canada
View Portfolio

I haven't been on MC for a long time and notice the inactivity but this site does have potential for growth.

I came across this posting and I though I should add a comment. Don't get bogged down with negative un-constructive critiques. I used to get lots but learned to ignore them.

Posted at 05:47 PM on Feb 21, 2011

Grandart
Grandart - Photographer
Photographer
Illinois, United States
View Portfolio

Thank you Frederick and others for your generous commentary and support. In my 35 years as a pro I have had lots of positive as well as some negative critiques. I've always thought about what the negative critiques meant and taken them to heart, not so that I would please the critic, but so that my work improves. This one critique absolutely floored me - it is so far off the mark as to be almost unbelievable. Thus I will take to collective advice of ignoring it and I will continue to post new work.
Again, thank you all.

Posted at 06:21 PM on Feb 22, 2011

Newest Critique Image

Latest Work Listings